Fly Dispenser Version 1.1
A new funnel and updated firmware provided faster, more reliable fly distribution in the latest version of our Fly Dispenser and Counter.
Fruit Fly Distribution at the Push of a Button
The Fly Dispenser uses soft foam rollers and a puff of air to dispense awake (non-anesthetized) adult fruit flies, one at a time, once every few seconds. Avoid the potential side effects of CO2 and human chemistry by dispensing flies directly into your assay.
The dispenser can also be configured to count the number of flies in each vial.
The latest version — v1.1 — features a number of improvements, including a split funnel design that streamlines airflow and seals better, resulting in faster, more consistent dispense times.
- Load flies into our 96 well plate FlyPlate fly storage system
- Easily load individual flies into TriKinetics Drosophila Activity Monitor tubes
- Introduce flies into C-trax behavioral arenas
- Load flies into food vials for repeatable culturing conditions
- Dispense a single fly, on demand, for dissection or imaging
- Tally flies after behavioral assays
- Count flies to assess fecundity
The Dispenser System:
The Fly Dispenser is a small, bench-top device with a base unit that holds the vial, and a dispenser pen where the flies come out.
There are three modes of operation:
- Single Mode dispenses one fly each press of the button on the pen.
- Vial Count Mode counts the number of flies in a vial as they are transferred to another vial.
- Multiple Mode dispenses 2-10 flies each button press.
The Fly Dispenser is simple, easy to use, and comes with a 90-day guarantee.
DISPENSE FLIES in 3 Easy Steps:
To count flies in a vial:
- Remove the green tip from the dispenser end.
- Attach the included cap to a second vial.
- Secure the dispenser end to the cap fitting.
- Switch to Vial Count mode.
- Press the button to begin.
As flies are transferred to the second vial, the device keeps a precise tally.
- Excels at loading experimental assays, including TriKinetics activity monitor vials
- Easily incorporated into high-throughput systems
- Reduce or eliminate anesthesia exposure for flies
- Minimize possible interference of human chemistry
- Increase accuracy and consistency
- Pairs well with our Fly Storage technology
|Flies dispensed:||Drosophila melanogaster, and other similarly sized flies.|
|Average time to dispense:||Approximately 2-10 seconds, averaging 5 seconds per fly.|
|Dispenser end:||Luer-lock fitting, 3 tips included.|
|Vials:||Genesee Scientific wide vials. 5 polystyrene vials and 10 plugs included. Also available from Genesee in K-resin and polypropylene.|
|Device size:||10" W x 6" D x 7" H (250 mm W x 150 mm D x 180 mm H)
Approximately 5 lbs (2.25 kg) shipping weight
|Connections:||12 V DC power (using supplied AC adapter), USB (cable not included), digital I/O with custom firmware|
|Customization:||It is possible to customize the dispenser using the Arduino environment (prior electronics/programming experience recommended).|
Sign up for our mailing list and you'll be first to hear about updates and new product announcements: